Newport Castle © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
Newport Castle was built of mottled pink old red sandstone and white Dundry stone between 1327 and 1386 by Hugh d'Audele or by his son-in-law, Ralph, earl of Stafford, replacing an earlier motte and bailey castle on Stow Hill near the cathedral. It was built on the banks of the River Usk to guard the settlement and control the river crossing but subsequently became the administrative centre for the lordship. It was extended and strengthened at the beginning of the 15th century after it was attacked and taken by Rhys Gethin, a general in Owain Glyndŵr’s army. The castle served its purpose for a period of about 200 years and for a short while, Jasper Tudor, Henry VIII’s uncle, lived here at the beginning of the 16th century.
Today, the ruins of the castle lie between the railway bridge and the road and include a central tower and two octagonal towers with spur buttresses on either side.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -